Monday, December 12, 2011

How to deal with overprotective parents?

So I'm just turning into a Sophmore in high school and my parents never let me do ANYTHING by myself! I have many friends who want to invite me out every weekend. Now I'm willing to compromise and go out like twice a month but NO! I was invited to the fair, six flags, disney;and, Seaworld, and of course my parents said no. They don't even let me go to friends houses unless it's for school. And even swimming, they say no to! I took lessons and I can swim fine but NO! It's gotten to the point where this whole summer was wasted on the couch, except for a Weezer concert and Seaworld, and 2 vacations and some visiting relatives. All of which were done with at least one of my parents. It's gotten to the point where my bestest friends stopped inviting me altogether and started hangin without me. My other friends still invite me but No I can't go I gotta stay at home while you guys go out and have fun =[ So I have confronted this with them in a clm manner MANY times and it's always " There are so many child molesters there! You might get in a car crash!" And then they show me news articles online =P DUMB! They nver want to buy me a cell phone because they think that I'll start sexting even though I'm not allowed to date =P So what do I do? I have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts because I'm so sad and lonely! And my mom says now that she wants me not to move out but to go to college near here and stay at the house =[ My older brother and sister who have moved out also experienced these problems. So, what do I do?!|||sounds like my story. hahaha.





but i am already 25, i am the first one with a job, a car, and a rented room, so i guess i can advise you on a bit.





what you can do is study real hard, get a scholarship, and accept it without their permission anyway. sure they'll get hurt, but you are a grown up and deal with it. I understand about getting a college near house and stay with mom--i went through that too. It's not good, especially during the final years when i really need some study companion. try living with parents on the first few years like I did, and moved out to college dorms/friends rooms in the final year, on the pretext of studying for final exams and such.





what i do now is strike a compromise with them. I work now, but I moved out and lived with pals without their permission anyway. However, i work close to their home, told them where I lived, and I frequently stop by their house to sleep for the weekend. it's sort of a compromise, and like 'weaning them out' their attachment to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment